RE: Using XHTML generated with W3C tidy.

>>Then you need to change your template to
>>
>><xsl:template match="//table">
>>
>>so that you can get tables at any depth.
>
>Not so: match="table" matches at any depth. It just matches. Unless
>something else matches with a higher priority.

Yes very true. As long as you have an <xsl:apply-templates /> on an element
*directly* above it. So unless you want to have a template such as
<xsl:template
match="A|ACRONYM|ADDRESS|APPLET|AREA|B|BASE|BASEFONT|BDO|BGSOUND|BIG|BLOCKQU
OTE|BODY|BR|BUTTON|CAPTION|CENTER|CITE|CODE|COL|COLGROUP|COMMENT|DD|DEL|DFN|
FRAME|IMG|INPUT|INS|ISINDEX|KBD|LABEL|LEGEND|LI|LINK|LISTING|MAP|MARQUEE|MEN
U|META|NEXTID|NOBR|NOFRAMES|NOSCRIPT|OBJECT|OL|OPTION|P|PARAM|PLAINTEXT|PRE|
Q|RT|RUBY|S|SAMP|SCRIPT|SELECT|SMALL|SPAN|STRIKE|STRONG|STYLE|SUB|SUP|TBODY|
TD|TEXTAREA|TFOOT|TH|THEAD|TITLE|TR|TT|U|UL|VAR|WBR|XML|XMP">
<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>

or

<xsl:template match="*">
<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>

Which would output a whole load of unwanted stuff unless you override the
default templates.

>In fact, "//table" could
>well be adding extra overhead because it checks to see whether the table
>being matched descends from the root (it does :-).

No it doesn't! It says match a table at any depth. All elements descend from
the root ;-) // does add a little overhead but unless you want to do
something like the above then you haven't any choice.

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml