Using XHTML generated with W3C tidy.

I have a table in a XHTML document I have generated with the TIDY utility from W3C.

Now I want to extract some of the information stored in that document, but even if there is several table-tags in the document the following stylesheet doesn't match this template:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

<!-- /tr[position &gt; 2]-->

<xsl:template match="table">
  TARGET
  <xsl:if test="position()=2">
    <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

If I have a template matching "/|*" I can output the "name()" and see that this template indeed matches several table tags.  The order of the templates doesn't change anything.  I have used Saxon 5.3.2 for quite a while, but upgrading to 5.4.1 didn't change anything.  Xalan fails on the W3C DTD, and XT gives the same behavior.

Which obvious thing am I missing?

Thanks for any help,
--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen             "...and...Tubular Bells!"
  http://bigfoot.com/~thunderbear