RE: XSLT and Text Processing Languages

> This sounds like you were using some features of OmniMark
> that don't exist in
> XSLT - like shelves/arrays and probably referenents for
> foward processing of
> the document without processing it twice or requiring the
> entire source document
> in memory.

Shouldn't think so.  I'm no Omnimark expert so I have enclosed the source at the end (it isn't long) so you can see for yourself.

> released. To fix the
> underscore issue all you have to do is provide an SGML
> Declaration that allows
> '_' to be used in names, by default SGML didn't allow this. A
> 2 minute fix
> at best.

As usual, if you know how to do it.  I don't.

> Yeah and how many times do you want to go back in and try to
> remember what you
> did in that regular expression? What is nice about OmniMark

Comments are allowed in source.  This applies for Perl as well as XSLT and Omnimark.

[XSLT]

> data. Yeah you may want or need access to the network and
> ODBC connections for
> other uses and more complete solutions but when I you have a
> basic XML -> ?
> issue, XSLT is by far easier than any of the other XML
> solutions in Perl and
> Java and OmniMark is at least in the SGML a complete solution
> for DTD based
> processing. Soon to have support for DTD less work.

"Soon to have" is too late for us.

All your stated solutions have advantages and disadvantages in one way or another.

You just appear to be in an environment where memory usage is not a problem -- unfortunately I'm not.

The source:

;  down-translate

global stream XmlDclFile
global stream DTDFile
global stream inputFileName
global stream DataItemFile
global stream DataLinkFile
global stream DataItemFileName
global stream DataLinkFileName

global stream DataitemKey
global stream DataitemType
global stream Category
global stream DescDisplay
global stream DescIndex
global stream FromDataitem
global stream FromDatatype
global stream ToDataitem
global stream ToDatatype
global stream DataLinktype

DEFINE FUNCTION OpenFiles
AS
	open DataItemFile as "%g(DataItemFileName)"
	open DataLinkFile as "%g(DataLinkFileName)"

DEFINE FUNCTION CloseFiles
AS
	close DataItemFile
	close DataLinkFile

DEFINE FUNCTION PrintDataitem
AS
	put DataItemFile "%"%g(DataitemKey)%";%"%g(DataitemType)%";%"%g(DescDisplay)%";%"%g(DescIndex)%"%n"

DEFINE FUNCTION PrintDatalink
AS
	put DataLinkFile "%g(FromDataitem)%";%"%g(FromDatatype)%";%"%g(ToDataitem)%";%"%g(ToDatatype)%";%"%g(DataLinktype)%"%n"

process
; do xml-parse document scan "test.xml"
;  do xml-parse document scan file "%g(DTDFile)" || file "%g(inputFileName)"
  do xml-parse document scan file "%g(DTDFile)" || file "%g(inputFileName)"
;  do xml-parse document scan file  "%g(inputFileName)"
    output "%c"
  done

element rowset
	OpenFiles
	OUTPUT "%c"
	CloseFiles

element dataitem
    set DataitemKey to ""
    set DataitemType to ""
    set DescDisplay to ""
    set DescIndex to ""
	OUTPUT "%c"
	PrintDataitem

element datalink
    set FromDataitem to ""
    set FromDatatype to ""
    set ToDataitem to ""
    set ToDatatype to ""
    set DataLinktype to ""
	OUTPUT "%c"
	PrintDatalink

element fromdataitem
	set FromDataitem to "%c"

element fromdatatype
	set FromDatatype to "%c"

element todataitem
	set ToDataitem to "%c"

element todatatype
	set ToDatatype to "%c"

element datalinktype
	set DataLinktype to "%c"

element dataitemkey
	set DataitemKey to "%c"

element dataitemtype
	set DataitemType to "%c"

element category
	set Category to "%c"

element descdspl
	set DescDisplay to "%c"

element descindx
	set DescIndex to "%c"
--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen             "...and...Tubular Bells!"
  http://bigfoot.com/~thunderbear