XSLT 1.1

XSLT 1.1 specifies that it will only consider Java and EcmaScript bindings.
It seems to me that the extension bindings don't have to be
language-specific. Why can't an XML-based binding be defined to standardize
on a cross-language specification? (I think this is similar to thick vs.
thin jdbc drivers, although I'm not very familiar with jdbc driver internals
:)

From what I understand, the extension functions/elements are expected to
return either primitive types (number, string, boolean), or XSLT-specific
structures like nodeset, RTF, XPath expression... XML seems to be a great
way to specify these structures.

Another way of looking at this is: given that we know the set of
objects/datatypes that can be returned by extensions (which I assume we know
for each language), can a common format be defined for their serialization
to XML?

Continuing on this idea, similar bindings can be defined for all other
representations of the XML Infoset data, such as SAX and DOM, which already
have bindings for programming languages into them.

Does this make sense?

- Eugene