Re: Again: Incrementing variables

Jeorg,

What you're describing verges on the practice of recursive named templates,
which is a form of looping that XSLT does support, and that is widely
practiced to solve certain kinds of problems. All of this interesting
ground has been gone over before (see the FAQ, Mike Kay's book etc.), which
is one reason the veterans on the list may not be giving this the attention
it may seem to deserve (i.e., it's because they already have).

Mike Kay's commentaries, plus a number of interesting posts in the archive
etc., may explain more. For various less-than-fully-explicit reasons, XSLT
is intended to be "side-effect free", and largely succeeds at it (thus
variables are scoped). Yet when you look in detail at the kinds of problems
that people usually grab at a for/next loop to deal with, it turns out that
almost all the time, there's a perfectly elegant (albeit sometimes verbose)
way in XSLT to do it.

Now admittedly, your use case appears to be somewhat out of the mainstream;
but if people were to see the code and exactly why you need a 'variable' in
the procedural sense, they might surprise you.

But note particularly what XSLT 11.5 says:
  "A binding -shadows- another binding if the binding occurs at a point
where the other binding is visible, and the bindings have the same name. It
is an error if a binding established by an xsl:variable or xsl:param
element within a template shadows another binding established ... also
within the template.

  "... XSLT does not provide an equivalent to the java assignment operator
... because this would make it harder to create an implementation that
processes a document other than in a batch-like way, starting at the
beginning and continuing through to the end."

Regards,
Wendell