Relative URI (<link> element in HTML result tree)

Given that the value of the <link> element's href attribute is a URI
relative to that of the HTML document itself. So if a standalone HTML
document, say demo.html, includes this line:
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="demo.css" />
we can assume that demo.css is on the same path as demo.html itself.

What if the transformation is occurring dynamically -- server-side or (if
the client supports it, like IE5) client-side? The result tree "document"
doesn't really exist anywhere. Can the URI still be relative? If so, what
is it relative *to*? The XML source? The stylesheet?

Thanks!