Again: Incrementing variables

Messieurs,

   thanks for all the responses which, however, weren't really too
helpful despite their references to dungeons, dragons, and the like
and despite the different alternative names for xsl:variable. ;-)
I found a solution for my problem - I had some other bug in my
code. Once I got rid off that it actually turned out I
can treat xsl:variables as... well, variables. In particular, I
can write
<xsl:variable name="var" select="1"/> and then
<xsl:variable name="var" select="$var + 1"/>
But before I get lynched here I better stop my heresy. Anyway, if
this forum accepts suggestions for improvements for xslt, then
let me suggest to add "proper" variables to xslt - for the sake
of all those freaks (like me) who simply forget to think in terms
of scopes all the time. ;-)

- Joerg
Dr. Joerg M. Colberg
Econovo Software, Inc.
joerg.colberg@econovo.com

PS: The reason why I was dealing with all that stuff is the
    following: I want to process two branches of an xml tree
    at the same time. Both branches are isomorphic in their
    structure. One branch contains data, the other one contains
    processing information. I loop over the processing information
    (which defines my output in the broadest sense) and use
    "variables" to jump across the data branch. The reason for
    this weird stuff was that I wrote an xsl which generates an
    xsl from html. :-)