RE: XSLT 2.0 Idea: third argument for key()

> In brief: I'd like to suggest having a third argument for
> key(), a node set, such that the key only retrieves nodes with the
relevant
> key value that are within this node set.

I'm personally more inclined to the view that the key() function should be
deprecated, and <xsl:key> should become like "create index" in SQL: an
optimization hint for the processor. Your XPath expression should then
specify the nodes it wants explicitly using predicates, and the processor
should detect automatically that there's an index it can use.

However, "an easier way to get an id or key in another document" is in the
shopping list at the back of XSLT 1.0, and a third argument to key() would
be one way of achieving it.

Mike Kay