real time transformations

Hi,

Suppose you are responsible for writing a web application where every page
is personalized. Target: 1.000.000 customers. Would you dare doing it in
Java using an architecture where the component developers are outputting XML
and visual designers writing only XSL?

The performance of the XSLT tranformations are scaring me to be honest.
Using XML/XSL is the future, is what "they" say, but I wonder: is this
/ever/ going to work in real-time applications?

Greets,
Loz
Chief of Something Completely Different