passing through special characters

I'm trying to generate wml from xml. In the xml I have this:
<url name="next">http://server.com/file?C=books&#38;T=boston</url>

I want the resulting wml to contain the &#38; and not expand it to &. It's
currently outputing: http://server.com/file?C=books&T=boston

I can do this by using CDATA in the xml file:
<url name="next"><![CDATA[http://server.com/file?C=books&#38;T=boston]]></url>
but that doesn't seem right. disable-output-escaping doesn't work with the xsl processor I'm using (which was suggested for similar problems on this list).
What should I do - use CDATA, get a new xsl processor, or is there some other
way to do this?

-Steve