Hexadecimal Arithmetic

Hi,

I have the following snippet of my XML data:
<root>
<parent level="1">
<child1>some text</child1>
<child2>some more text</child2>
<parent>
<parent level="2">
<child1>text</child1>
<child2>different text</child2>
</parent>
</root>

I want to present this in a table and that's done. Now I want to color code each
 table row depending on the value of the "level" attribute. That's done. Now I
want to give each row a different gradient of the same color depending on the
value of the "level". The value of the level ranges from 1-10. I wanted to take
this and use
it with hexadecimal arithmetic. Does anyone know how?

I am getting greedy now, but it would be really nice if I could do this
dynamically as I foresee that my XML data will not be static.

Any help is appreciated.

Maulik