RE: internationalization / localization of XSLT output

What about
<strings>
   <str lang="en" name="Results of database query">Results of database
query</str>
   <str lang="de" name="Results of database query">Ergebnis der
Datenbankabfrage</str>
   <str lang="en" name="next page">next page</str>
   <str lang="de" name="next page">naechste Seite</str>
</strings>

<xsl:param name="lang"/> <!-- param set in command line -->
   <h1><xsl:value-of select="/strings/str[@name='Results of database query'
and @lang=$lang]"/>
    </h1>

or with the same master xml generate xml for each language with a simple
transform

<xsl:template match="str">
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="str[@lang=$lang]">
	<xsl:copy-of select="." />
</xsl:template>

then use the w3c aproach or create one language file first depending on the
language

<xsl:variable name="strs" select="document('language.xml')/strings"/>
   <h1><xsl:value-of select="$strs/str[@name='Results of database query']"/>
    </h1>

or

<xsl:param name="lang"/> <!-- param set in command line -->
<xsl:variable name="strs"
select="document('master.xml')/strings/str[@lang=$lang]"/>
   <h1><xsl:value-of select="$strs/str[@name='Results of database query']"/>
    </h1>

All seem better than the entity approach

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml