Re: Node-set vs. Result tree fragment

> Mike Kay wrote:
> The way I read the question, the answer is yes. If you have a nodeset $ns,
> you can access the children of the nodes in $ns by writing $ns/node() (or
> $ns/* if you only want the element children, or $ns/para if you only want
> the <para> element children, etc).
>
> What you can do in an extension function depends on the implementation.
> Certainly with Saxon, when you pass a node-set to an extension function
> there are methods to navigate from any node to its children, siblings,
> parent, etc.
>
> The node-set() extension function is there to make result tree fragments
> navigable in the same way that node-sets are.

Well, then here's a question in regards to this then...
I wrote an XSLT script a while back that called a Java method and passed
a node-set to it.  From within the Java program, I could only get the
actual
nodes in that node-set, not any of those node's childrens.
Is programmable DOM parsing of a node-set somehow different than the way
XSLT uses a node-set?  Or should I be able to access the children of a
node
in a node-set in a call to a Java extension?

Thanks for all your help!

Michael J. Hudson
Software/Framework Engineer
mhudson@blueprinttech.com