RE: how to test if a file exists ?

Quick ideas (not elaborated):

1) use extension functions to actually check the existence of the file
or
2) build an XML file containing the list of available graphic files, and
access it through the document() function to test if a given reference is
valid.

Using 2) does not bind you to a specific XT processor, and is probably more
efficient. Of course, it's only dependable if the graphic files change
infrequently.

Olivier