stripping carriage returns

Hi all,

I've looked through the XML FAQ, and archives of this list
but I can't figure out how to strip carriage returns when
doing XSL transformations.  Here is what I want to do.
Given this:

<COMPANY>Company 1
  <NAME>Carl
  </NAME>
  <DEPARTMENT id="5">Research
  </DEPARTMENT>
  <HOMEPAGE url="http://www.xyz.com">
  </HOMEPAGE>
</COMPANY>
<COMPANY>Company 2
  <NAME>Ted
  </NAME>
  <DEPARTMENT id="4">Engineering
  </DEPARTMENT>
  <HOMEPAGE url="http://www.xyz.com">
  </HOMEPAGE>
</COMPANY>

The transformation I am using is giving me back

Company 1 | Carl
  Research
  | http://www.xyz.com
Company 2 | Ted
  Engineering
  | http://www.xyz.com

I would like to take out the carriage return and
just have

Company 1 | Carl | Research | http://www.xyz.com
Company 2 | Ted | Engineering | http://www.xyz.com

Any help would be much appreciated.