HTML entities

We have an application which takes XML and produces HTML. However, we would
like the XML source to be allowed to contain HTML-recognised entities
(é for example) and (in the right context) pass them through to the
HTML.

Is there any way of doing this? We're currently bodging it with an embedded
partial DTD which converts the entities to { but by the time the final
HTML is generated, these have been converted to literal characters, which
causes some browsers problems.

Is there a simple way to get an XSL stylesheet to pass through HTML entities
unchanged? Some trick of the DTD I haven't found?

We're using the Microsoft MSXML3 (March preview) if that helps or hinders.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Lynn.