How to ignore whitespaces during parsing?

Sorry, question is out of scope, but ...
 I am trying to parse XML into DOM tree using Sun's parser (X Project
parser
 pre-release 2). The problem is that it seems to be not able to ignore
whitespaces
 such as tabulations and CR-LFs. That results in creating a lot of
unnecessary
 text nodes. The same problem appear if I write document to stream using
CR-LFs
 for formatting and then read it back I've got text nodes what were absent
in the
 original document. Is anyone has experienced the same problems? Do I need
 specify some encoding or somehow specify to the parser what characters to
 ignore?

 Thanks.
 Sasha
aleks@swh-t.lv