rookie xmlt transformation question

Hi,  I'm trying to do what seems like a simple
transformation, but I can't seem to figure out
the easiest way to do this?  I've looked at the
xml faq and have tried different methods such as
<xsl:for-each ..> but it seems really messy. I
am trying to go down the tree node and print
all the information up to that node.

I want to transform something from this:

<department>
  <group>
    <name>Science department</name>
      <employee>
      <name>Alex</name>
      </employee>
      <employee>
      <name>Philip</name>
      </employee>
  </group>
  <group>
    <name>Math department</name>
      <employee>
      <name>Dennis</name>
      </employee>
  </group>

</department>

to this:

Science department | Alex
Science department | Philip
Math department | Dennis

Any help or pointers would be really appreciated!
Thanks,

leon