New Game, Some Little Bugs

Arena was just to show item-units, but as I fiddled
with it, I realized there was some potential for a fun
game.  Attached are the various files for battles.g,
which is based on the old Star Fleet Battles
boardgame.  Occupant units in the game are Phaser
Banks, Shields, that kind of thing.  There's only an
Enterprise class ship, so far, because I ran into a
couple little problems and would love some help:

1.  The shields don't regenerate.  Shield and Damaged
Shield units have hp-recovery of, respectively, 10 and
5, but it doesn't seem to take.  It's not related to
being occupants, they don't heal outside of the unit,
either.  I don't get it.

2.  Units won't auto-upgrade as occupants.  I remember
discussing this earlier and thought Eric fixed this,
so maybe I haven't properly tagged them.  It's too
bad, because there's a rather novel repair system in
place that looks like it'll make for an interesting
game.

I'll send the package to Eric, hopefully he can post
it when he gets a chance.  If anyone wants me to send
it to them, let me know.

Thanks guys,
Elijah