Xconq Maps from GIS Data

Dear Xconq Developers,

I am working to build an aggressive new image set for XCONQ. I'll just
come right out and say it: I want to build a map made from actual
Geographical Information System Images.

You can "surf" (and download) GIS data here:

  http://seamless.usgs.gov/

If your browser is not capable of viewing this data (best running
Firefox on Linux), it's the most impressive view of the Earth's surface
you've ever seen. In effect, you would be playing Xconq on a
super-realistic playing field.

See the colors? It turns out that everything is color-coded and roughly
matches Xconq's terrain system: yellow for plains, green for mountains,
light blue for sea, etc.

Additionally, it is possible to create real-time 3D views with GIS data
as shown here:

  http://grass.itc.it/demos/ortho3d.jpg

Please note that I've studied this for several days and scanned the
archives. I've not seen this asked before.

The following is a tentative plan, is it possible? Is there a better
way?

  1) Download the GIS data and convert the image to a palatable image
format
  2) Overlay a hex grid (to scale) on the image
  3) "Break off" each of the hexes and place them into a file similar to
those found under the /lib/images directory painstakingly categorized in
order by terrain type
  4) Create a terrain file with the terrain information

I have created a complete outline here:

  http://www.gencom.us/xconq_design.html

RATIONAL for Xconq:

Xconq's engine can't be beat in my opinion. It would be a travesty to
take out of hand the hours put into all of the unit interactions,
movement tables, etc. Why re-invent the wheel?!!? Xconq is just
impressive, period. From my research, Xconq is the most mature tactical
game available.

Long term, just to throw it out there: is it possible to interface raw
GIS coordinate data (longitude, latidude, etc.) directly with Xconq's
engine?

I'm willing to perform the painstaking work if you're willing to point
me in the right direction.

Best,

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper@gencom.us            |
| GenCom                  | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Working For IT"        | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |