Re: Three thoughts

>On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:
>> As for selecting units in general, I never had any problems at the highest
>> zoom level. What game are you playing, and how many units are there in the
>> cell?
>
>I noticed the problem most in my game with the item units, because there I
>had some units with as many as 25 occupants that sometimes were occupants
>themselves.  It becomes an issue even in the standard game with smaller
>numbers of occupants, though.

I see. One thing that might solve this problem, if I may bring up the Mac
interface again, is to implement unit closeups. This is how you navigate
within the stack on the Mac: right-click on a unit to bring up a small
floating window with unit info plus one image of each occupant. Right-click
on any of these images to bring up a closeup of the occupant. And so on.
There is also a clickable image of the transport in each occupant closeup,
so you can navigate quickly up and down in the stack. The frontmost closeup
automatically becomes the current unit for commands etc.

Porting this to the tcltk interface is something that I have wanted to do
for a long time, but it is easier said than done. The main problem is the
lack of support for floating windows in tcltk.

>> them. A better alternative to scrollbars is scrolling of the map using the
>> arrow keys. I ported that feature from the Mac interface to the tcltk
>
>It isn't really the scroll bars I'd like to turn on or off, but the
>automatic scrolling based on mouse position.

OK. Making that a user preference shouldn't be too difficult. I'm about to
leave for a trip, but I'll look into it when I'm back.