Re: Just say no to bungee paratroopers.

Hans Ronne wrote:

I would concur. Even in non-paratrooper games, it makes sense for a
capturing unit to move inside. Right now, it will wait outside for one turn
or even move away, until the capture task has been changed to an occupy
task. I've been planning to improve how the AI handles such cases. A lot
can happen in one turn ...

Are we talking about teaching the AI to do something or are we talking about an implicit action. I was under the impression that we were talking about the latter and not necessarily the former.

As I mentioned to Henry off-list, I am not sure that it is wise to impose a certain action "granularity" or time scale on game designers. Some games may dictate the kind of implicit action we are talking about, but others may not. I am not sure that capture always implies a forceful overrun followed by garrisoning. It may imply that the defender felt forced into surrender by the immediate presence of the capturing unit (independent of surrender chances).

The key question is if captures (or attacks) from inside transports should
be allowed at all. In principle, I think not. Paratroopers should jump into
an empty cell, then attack on the ground from there. Jumping on top of
enemy positions is suicide, as several examples from history show, so it
should not be supported as a viable attack mode in Xconq.

That is one perspective. However, a game with a somewhat different time scale and different take on actions may be better served by having, say, the troops leave a helicopter, attempt capture, and then get back on the helicopter all as part of the capture action.

Here again, I think we can ultimately be better served by a modular combat system that gives us the flexibility of turning on or off such behavior, instead of hacking an entire combat model and telling everyone that they have to do things the same way.