Re: Selecting plans?

>I've only just started playing xconq in the last couple of days - I'm
>mainly using the latest binary of the native OSX port.  I've also
>installed the Windows version on a PC, and I noticed a difference in
>the gameplay (of the standard game).  In the OSX version, you are able
>to select a plan for any unit.  In the Windows version (and, as I just
>tested, with the Mac TCL binary) the 'Plan' item in the menu is always
>grayed out.  Am I missing something that I need to do to set the plan
>in the non-Carbon version?

No. The reason why the plan menu is not fully implemented yet in the tcltk
interface is that it is a useless feature. Here is how it works:

If you run a unit under manual control, you can set its plan to whatever
you like, but it has no effect. It's your brain that makes the decisions,
not the AI.

If you put a unit under AI control, the first thing the AI does is to scrap
your plan and pick a new one more to the AI's liking. So the plan menu has
no effect in that case either.

I've been planning to use the plan menu for a semi-automatic mode in which
units would be controlled by the AI, but forced to stick to a plan picked
by the human player. I think such a mode would be very useful. But it is
still on the todo-list.