Re: Xconq Game Designers Project

>Okay, so assuming that Sourceforge finds the use of
>GDL to be "code-worthy" enough, would it work to only
>post Xconq binaries (Including a stripped down, no
>source-code version of Eric's Windows Installer) for
>FTP from the Sourceforge site.

My concern was not with the source code (which is already freely available)
but with our pre-release test binaries being officially released through
the SourceForge File Release System, from which they can never be removed.
So stripped down binaries would not solve the problem. But if you provide a
link for the binaries to a site from which they *can* be removed (or
updated), that is fine with me.

>I like the way Sourceforge works, but I'm not too
>saavy and it sounds like they've got a few issues.
>But more than the forums and the project management
>features, the main reason for this is to get more
>eyeballs on Xconq (Does anyone have any idea what the
>size of the user base is?).  I think there needs to be
>a serious graphics overhaul (Just in the unit gifs,
>without even adding any new capability) and that's not
>going to happen until we get a real artist or two
>involved, and if we can get significant feedback from
>players, it'll make scenario development so much more
>enjoyable.
>
>I see sf.net as the easiest way to get people's
>attention (Assuming they approve of just hosting the
>scenario design) but maybe this is the wrong route.
>I'd be happy to do as much as I'm capable updating
>this website, but then there's still the issue of
>getting people here to see it.

I agree, and I see the value in getting people from a larger community
interested in xconq. If SourceForge accepts a GDL project (and GDL is after
all a language) I'm all for it. Another community we should consider is
perhaps the game-modding sites. If we are looking for people that can make
unit gifs, I think the best place to find them is among Civ2, Civ3 and AoE
scenario writers. I'm sure they would be fascinated by GDL, too. Perhaps we
could have an xconq page at one of the major game-modding sites?