Re: More Combat Options

>Hey guys, I'm going to play squeaky wheel, now that I
>see tables being produced eight a day and all these
>new revisions to Xconq--3D units and 64-player, neural
>net AIs and, and, and...
>
>Okay, so maybe there haven't been too many additions
>to Xconq, but I really think there should be a new
>combat system, or at least a revision to the old one.
>If anything, I think there should be a global variable
>with Type 1 Combat (Civilization-style), something
>like, "Fight-Until-Death", so that if it's true, it
>keeps working the way that it does now, but if false,
>each combat action only has one effect.  It can
>default to true, so there's no issue with current
>games.
>
>Any chance of this?

Possibly. It's not just a matter of adding a global, though. The current
model 1 attack code runs a while loop until one unit is dead. To make this
a step by step procedure, one would have to think through the consequences
carefully. Shouid each round of attack cost acps and thus require a new
turn? This would slow down the game a lot, unless the hit points are
reduced.

>Anybody have any desire to make any major changes to
>the combat system?

I've been planning to change the model 0 code so that it can use absolute
attack and defend values like the model 1 code instead of this cumbersome
hit-chance table. This would make it easier to write new model 0 games and
also make it easier to improve the AI (for those games, at least).

>How are the neural nets and 3D units coming along?

As far as I recall, those were some of the many ideas that were bounced
around last year. I don't think anybody is working on it, though.

Hans

P.S. Did you do any more work on the Korea game?