Re: Path finding

Hi Brian,

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Brian Dunn wrote:

> A bit of a problem since the path-finding stuff went in a month
>or two ago:

His Astar implementation has been in the source tree since the
closing months of last year. We started earnestly debating about
withdrawing it about a month or two ago.

>where armies may cross.  This makes the new pathfinding code seem
>to take much much longer per turn to think things through.
>Before that path finding change, the turns went quite a bit
>faster.

This is symptomatic of all the games when using the new
pathfinding code, though some feel the pain worse than others.
However, in theory, it should do a better job at actually finding
a path.

> Another thing is that the standard game doesn't make or use
>transports.  Try setting up a standard game between a few
>computer players and watch what they do for a few turns.

I believe this has something to do with Hans fiddling with
roll_dice or some such call. It was part of a hack to get rid of
some of the sync errors that the pathfinding created.

When I get around to working on the pathfinding and movement code,
I will probably roll back the new pathfinding, if Hans doesn't do
it first. At that time, I will undo any other little hacks that
hobbled Xconq in an attempt to get rid of sync errors.

> STILL no crashes on my Linux box since your fixes to the TCL
>map redrawing code!

Good.

  Regards,