Re: xconq 7.5a (win32)

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Tyson & Dina Ackland wrote:

> Was delighted to find this Windows version now that I have a home LAN
> and have been playing it with my son.

I will hopefully be releasing a newer Windows installer later on
this afternoon. Perhaps, the new executables will address some of
the things you have been seeing. In particular, I think some of
the networking code has been improved since the last time I
released Windows executables.

> Couple of problems though:
> 1. Sometimes the selected item won't move.  When this happens, I
> minimise and then restore the window and find a different item is
> selected and this one I can move.

Can you specify under what circumstances the unit won't move?

> 2. I have yet to complete a net game - at some point, a message appears
> saying the checksum doesn't match and the game appears to become
> unresponsive soon after.

This problem might be addressed with the new release. If it isn't
please let us know.

> 3. Just now, I attempted to restore a saved game from it's save file and
> a number of warnings were reported as it restored including "colour of
> units changing" etc.  I decided to ignore future warnings and the game
> restored but the map image was corrupted and refused to come good so the
> game was impossible to continue with.

I think this one was fixed too. Again, let us know if it's not
with the new executables.

>  From memory, these sorts of quirks have been around since the beginning
> as I remember having problems restoring save files back on X11 too as
> well as the game occassionally locking up etc.

There have been some stability improvements too. :-)

> It's a pity as it
> renders an otherwise unparalleled open-source strategy game into a "I'll
> play it if I'm really bored" sort of game.

We're working to change this.... It's one of the reasons why we
are more than a year behind the originally intended 7.5 release
date.

>What keeps bringing me back
> is it's addictive

That's what brought me back after 3+ years. (And the lack of a
Linux/X11 port of Empire Master....)

> but if the game play takes too long, one of these show-stoppers usually
> occurs.

Please let us know if you run into any more showstoppers than the
ones mentioned above.

>If the developers could concentrate on rectifying these
> algorithm fundamentals and leave the interface/porting upgrades for a
> while, I think your game would be a real winner!
>
> Cheers and all the best.

Thanks.

  Regards,