Re: Screwy UI Resupply Code

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:21:10PM -0500, Eric McDonald wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peter Garrone wrote:
>
> >So I would remove the "take" action entirely.
>
> I disagree. As Jim points out, there are times where manual
> give/take is still useful. This functionality should continue to
> be available, even if much of it can be automated in many cases.

Of course it is useful. But it is too tedious. If it is disabled, then
no one can do it, and it is fair for all.

> One of the things I was looking into was to scan each cell, as a
> unit is executing a move-to task, to see if any units can serve as
> willing donors to provide materials for free (costing no ACP). It
> was this investigation that turned up the UI resupply screwiness,
> once I realized that the GDL default was to disallow resupply.

The image that leaps into my mind is a lot of units moving around
stealing fuel off each other. I dont know where you are going here.

> As a side note:
> I don't see this ["free" on-the-fly resupplying] as necessarily
> being at cross-purposes with refueling automation you might
> have included in your new pathing code. It is one thing to plan a
> path to cross resupply points, but another thing to utilize
> resupply points while moving. I am interested in improving the
> latter.

The pathfinding will reject a path if it will take a unit into an
unsupplyable situation. But if units take fuel from each other, then its
very difficult to discover if paths are unfuelable.

> > I think that a unit should only get fuel by occupying the supply unit
> > directly, for those units that can only recieve fuel from distance zero.
>
> Technically, anything that is in the same cell is distance 0. Why
> should a carrier at sea have to enter a tanker unit in order to
> resupply, when "running some hoses between the ships" would
> suffice?

I dont think real navy vessels in general can resupply each other with fuel.
Only designated refuel vessels can do that. Obviously they are at a
combat disadvantage while doing so as well. So a realistic situation
would be to have the unit occupy the refueler, and to have a combat
disadvantage.

Certainly aircraft cannot do air-air refueling, unless its a special
aircraft. As for refueling from say a troopship.

Even ground vehicles cant refuel eachother. You have to drive to and
enter a service station.

The overall development of this game is that units are constrained by
supply, people dont like it, so cheating is being inserted into it.
This gets ridiculous, from the point of playability and realism, and
also from the point of software, because there is one set of software to
impose some constraints, and another set to get around it.