Re: pathfinding refueling

>> I have spent hours on all these emails. I would rather just code up my
>> approach now thanks. Fat chance.
>
>So then code it up. I already told you that I am not stopping you
>(I cannot stop you). Just don't expect me to check it in; I think
>your proposed solution is a bit narrow-minded in some cases.

I think it is perhaps time to conclude this discussion and move on. The new
path-finding code is a significant improvement, and I would very much like
it to be included in the 7.5 release. However, there are three problems
that must be solved first:

1. Sync errors (unless the cache is disabled).
2. Ferry problems.
3. Resupply problems.

If Peter can fix these problems, this will be a major contribution which is
certainly welcome. Maybe it doesn't address all possible scenarios, but we
can't let perfection be the enemy of good. Further improvements to the code
can always be made later, if necessary.

As for supporting more than one fuel, which is what much of the discussion
has been about, it is easy to do so if the path is recomputed when the unit
reaches a resupply point. And we already agreed that frequent
recalculations of the path is a good idea. All it would take is to check
what material is currently limiting the range, and use it as "fuel" in the
new path calculation. This would allow more than one material type to be
considered as fuel, and at the same time avoid the computational problems
that several fuel types would cause in any given path calculation.

I would therefore encourage Peter to go ahead with his scheme but include
dynamic recalculations of the path as often as is practical, and also make
the choice of which material type should be considered as "fuel" dynamic,
depending on the unit's supplies.