Re: plan_transport

>>Another note. These worths are a number starting at 0 and extending
>>upwards. If they were scaled from 0 to say 100, then we could carry out
>>fuzzy logic calculations, with fuzzy AND as a MIN operation, fuzzy OR as
>>a MAX operation, and fuzzy NOT as a (100 -x) operation. Might help the
>>AI think better.
>
>The main reason why the worth function return relative (and open-ended)
>rather than absolute values is generality. It is very difficult to get
>worth functions that return absolute values to work with many different
>games that have very different units. You could let the game designer
>assign appropriate absolute values in each game, but then we are back in a
>situation where the game designer rather than the AI is playing the AI
>side, as discussed above.
>
>We could take another look at this post-7.5, though. I'm not very happy
>with the current worth functions.

This is a followup since I realize that my comment about the worth
functions was somewhat misleading. The problem is not as much relative vs.
absolute values, since it is possible to normalize the values, but rather
how to factor in different components. Here is a link to the relevant
discussion on the list last year:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2002/msg00556.html

Since it is possible to normalize the return value over all units in the
game, I think what you propose may work. We would of course still face the
problem to decide if a ferry_worth of 60 beats a colonizer_worth of 50,
i.e. how to compare apples and pears.