RE: UI proposal

Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> but i thought that adding other interfaces was hard due to the deep
> interwindling of xconq game machine and UI, the stuff that prevented a
> clean client server design IIRC?

That is certainly my assessment.  Xconq does not have usable / doable
code for writing new UIs.  I am going to look around to see if anyone on
the net has already written a generic hex-based game UI.  (Civil?)  If
not, I'll probably write one.  Then people who know the Xconq codebase
can worry about plugging the Xconq code into it, if they want to.  I'm
not going to bother, I don't need Xconq to write a 4X TBS UI.

I'm still willing to work on Python integration for AI and game design
purposes, language interop, and incremental OO-ification of the Xconq
codebase.  These are efforts that have to happen if the number of Xconq
developers is to grow significantly.  Otherwise, newcomers are going to
take one look at all the hundreds of C functions and conclude pretty
much what I've concluded.

Now, one major problem with that agenda is you guys are currently in
stable feature freeze / bugfix mode.  So, when do you plan to kick 7.5
out the door?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.