Re: Marketing Xconq?

do you guys make any effort to market Xconq?

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I posted a message on the forum at Wargamer.com. Jim Cobb, one of the game reviewers, mentioned that he would take a look at it. If you guys want to attract wargamers who are interested in designing their own games, Wargamer is a good place to start. I think there's potential.

It's fair to mention that many gamers are using a Windows platform and not Mac or Linux, so a Windows version is important. Also, most gamers are not programmers and some are practically computer illiterate, so a simple complete download like Eric has developed will be most helpful for expanding the Xconq user base. Even I have had trouble figuring out CVS, so I don't bother any more. Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install should also be considered.

I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are still bugs and graphics problems. At least on WinMe that I'm still using, and I'm too busy with other things right now to spend time troubleshooting Xconq. And so are most of your potential customers, so the sooner a clean v7.5 can get completed and released the better. Once that happens, marketing efforts should be more effective.

There were two items I mentioned a long while back that would improve Xconq's appeal to traditional wargamers. One is some way of providing conditional events within the game, like If-Then statements. There's no way to simulate politics and diplomacy by having some sides or forces inactive until something happens (declaration of war, surprise attack, specific objective taken, etc.) There are a lot of possibilities with this. The other is some way of providing multiple unit attacks and standard combat results tables based on odds. Like three units against one getting 3-1 odds, or whatever when other factors are computed, and a "die roll" resolves the combat all at one time. The current combat models do not lend themselves to doing this well. So maybe with the newer Xconq programmers on the list now, someone can think about addressing these things.

Bill