Re: Xconq Packaging (was Re: Major improvement to the Xconq kernel)

Hi Peter et al.,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Peter Garrone wrote:

>  Configuration/compilation on debian now works fine for me,

Great. Thanks for passing along useful info so that I could fix
it.

> investigating further.) I imagine you are fishing for an offer from me
> here,

You were foremost in my mind when I made the comments. But there
is absolutely zero pressure from me wrt becoming the Debian
maintainer. I think that I am going to first email the guy who
supposedly did the old Debian package (Timo Benk[h]e?) and see if
he is still interested. If not, then we can go from there....

> and if no one else wants to do it I would, though I am probably
> not the best person as I am not always reachable during hang-gliding
> season. Also I have never maintained a debian package.

Well prior to my work with xconq.spec, I had never created a RPM
(except a binary RPM from a source RPM, but that doesn't really
count). Like most things I do with Xconq, I did it because I felt
like it: I wanted to do something new and learn from it. I would
only encourage you to become a maintainer if you felt the same
way.  As far as frequency is concerned, I don't think you are
under any obligation (if you were to become a maintainer) to
regularly release anything; I certainly don't feel obligated to
make regular releases; I just do them when I think enough changes
have accrued or something important has happened with Xconq. So I
regard it only as a minor chore. I just don't want to get too many
minor chores. :-)

To use Jim's terminology, I would "endorse" you, but there is no
pressure on you.

Hang-gliding? Sounds like fun. Where I now live, people primarily
fly glider planes (nice drafts come off the Rocky Mountains). I am
probably going to try some gliding once I get more settled in,
though I imagine hang-gliding is much more exhilarating and has
rather different dynamics....

  Regards,