Re: unfair starting positions

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:02:50AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> - I am plopped down next to lotsa independent cities.  I take 'em over
> and make lotsa infantry.  I crush everything around me.  This is pretty
> unfair to the AIs, they don't stand a chance when I'm given so many
> cities as starting resources.  Boredom sets in when I've got too many
> units to push around.
2 points to add so late into the discussion:
- indeed the independent cities are distributed the same over the
players, but its the AI's fault for not taking their shares....
- getting bored of pushing units around? never tryed standing orders?

> - Some AI gets that same initial benefit and I don't.  I get crushed.
as pointed Stan out :D heh :D

> - One time half of my cities were on one island, and half of my cities
> on another, with a 1 hex strip of water separating them.  One AI with a
> full set of concentrated cities quickly crushed me in the north.  A
> second AI with a full set of concentrated cities crushed me a little
> less quickly in the south.  I could have linked the two halves with a
> transport, but I seriously doubt it would have mattered.
put some more, and there you go.....

> - One time I was on a continent, very far away from 2 enemies on the
> same continent, and very far by water from anything else.  The 2 enemies
> consolidated into 1 enemy before I could get there.  I got a toehold on
> an independent city he hadn't conquered yet, but he showed up with a
> gazillion units.
 as you noticed in the meantime, its quite easy to overtake an ai even
 in that situation: it can't handle multi-directional attacks, prepare
 the terrain with bombers/fighters/battleships and fall in with say 2-3
 full transports snuck up (and there again use standing orders
     please....) from the back for each group of cities....

> - One time I had a large ocean to the west of my starting locations, and
> no coastal cities whatsoever.  I didn't play that game out, but I'm
> thinking that an enemy could make unimpeded landings on that flank, I'd
> never be able to defend navally against them.  There is of course air
> power, but the situation seems really dumb.
yep please please :D i really want ot be able to build up roads and
extend bases to be cities even in the standard game !!!
(nah don't hit me on the head :O )

nah the ai is really dumb unfortunately, you see this in how the units
are put into formation for attack or defense (means AI has no plan about
    correct placing of units), or even their use.... i often see
carriers coming at me, empty of any aircraft....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org