Canonical Windows build environment?

Hi!  What is the canonical Windows build environment on W2K?

I've tried using Cygwin from www.cygwin.com , without success.
Configure works fine.  The 7.4.1 sources fail with errors in win32.c.  I
assume nobody's interested in figuring out why that might be.  :-)  The
CVS sources fail anywhere <Tk.h> get used, it seems it's seeking
<X11/Xlib.h>.  Don't know if that's XConq or Cygwin's TK messing that
up.  As far as I know there's no X11 installation available for Cygwin.

Do I need some screwy mingw flags or something?  My config.guess is
i686-pc-cygwin.  I've also been trying to build Freeciv and found MinGW
from www.mingw.org to be an utter horror to work with.  I gave up and
went with Cygwin.  I am a typical Windoze developer, I can't seem to
wrap my head around the rules and regulations for what kind of .DLLs are
supposed to go where.  That said, I've done the Linux drill back in the
day, I'm far from clueless.  But man, so many loose ends the past 5
days.  In fact, to some degree I think my Linux knowledge has hurt as
much has it has helped, I expected MinGW to be rational and it wasn't!

There is no INSTALL-win file in CVS, nor in 7.4.1 for that matter.
Would be nice if there was one.  Think of all the people who will read
the README, look for the mentioned INSTALL-win, and burst into tears
when it isn't there.  :P-(

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.