Re: Border Terrain (was Re: Compound Terrain Effects)

Hi Hans,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >There is also the possibility of doing a border slide.
>
> Precisely. Though it didn't work last time I tested it (WWII-Europe, Black
> Sea fleet trying to get out through the Bosporus).

Ironically, I think I saw an instance of it working (when it
shouldn't have) last weekend when I was play-testing Bellum.
Specifically, I accidentally clicked on a cell that the current
unit (a land unit) could not reach because of intervening illegal
terrain. The path-finding algorithm told it to go toward a river
(which was 1 cell away) and then suddenly the unit was sitting on
the cell it wasn't supposed to be able to go to (which was 1 or 2
cells up the river). Strange....

> >I simply would not go down that road (or is it river? :) at this
> >stage.
>
> Actually, we've already been there.

Right, I remember. After the 7.5 release, I think we need to have
a good discussion about the merits and the problems with possibly
reimplementing this, perhaps in conjunction with a
subterrain-size-in-terrain table. But, I'm not prepared to argue
the case until after I get some more exposure to the connector and
movement code (which may happen if I manage to fix the previously
mentioned ZOC bug).

  Regards,