Re: Xconq pre-7.5 RPMS Available

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Eric McDonald wrote:

> I have just uploaded RPM's based on the 2003/07/27 CVS sources. They are
> available at:
> http://home.comcast.net/~eric_mcdonald/xconq/xconq-7.5.0-1.src.rpm
> http://home.comcast.net/~eric_mcdonald/xconq/xconq-7.5.0-1.i586.rpm
>
> The RPM's were produced on an AMD Athlon XP+ system with Mandrake 9.0
> (glibc-2.2.5, XFree86-4.2.1, Tcl/Tk-8.3.3). They have not been tested on
> any other platform.

I snagged your source RPM and rebuilt it on Solaris 7 SPARC and x86
(HW11/99 release, Sun 5.0 compilers, Tcl/Tk-8.3.4).  I use my own spec
file to apply a local patch which I've maintained for the last several
builds.

Does this list strip or allow attachments?  Heck, I'll just sum it up:

In the top level Makefile.in, and in the kernel, images, lib, tcltk, and
x11 subdirs as well I change:

	datadir = $(prefix)/share/xconq
	datadir = @datadir@

I also change:

	CFLAGS = -g
	CFLAGS = @CFLAGS@

and

	LDFLAGS =
	LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@

where needed so that I can, in my RPM spec, say:

CC=cc CFLAGS="-xO3 -xCC" LDFLAGS="-R /usr/local/tk/lib -R /usr/local/tcl/lib" \
./configure \
        --prefix=%{prefix} \
        --datadir='$(prefix)'/lib/xconq \
        --enable-alternate-scoresdir=/var/local/xconq \
        --with-tclconfig=/usr/local/tcl/lib \
        --with-tkconfig=/usr/local/tk/lib \
        --with-x

That way I don't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime, which I think is
a gross hack.  (<rant> And this is Solaris 7, so no 'crle'... Geez, Sun,
after removing the 'ldconfig' functionality from SunOS during the Solaris
transition and then stubbornly refusing to put it back in for 8 major
releases, why the hell couldn't you just call it 'ldconfig'?  What the
hell does 'crle' stand for anyway?  Oy! </rant>)

I also patch the appdefaultsdir but I'm just silly that way.  It'd be
lovely if those patches for datadir, CFLAGS and LDFLAGS could make their
way into the distribution (they're pretty generic) so I could cut down my
local patch quite a bit.  Not a big priority, of course. :-)

Of course, it occurs to me now that I ought to change CFLAGS to remove the
-xO3 and put back -g and test again; the version in Eric's source RPM (the
2003/07/27 CVS snapshot) still dies with the same error as my previous
build:

RUN: Should not be calling xmalloc (requested 34 bytes)
RUN: Should not be calling xmalloc (requested 36 bytes)

I should note that I had built the older versions (11/15/2001, 3/20/2002)
with the optimizer on, debug off, and both worked beautifully.  But I'll
try the recompile and see if that "fixes" the bug. :-)

Cheers,

-- Chris