Re: A Couple Questions

>Does change-type work?  I don't see a command for it
>on the list and when I type 'change-type' into the
>console, it says it doesn't recognize the command.

This was discussed on the list last year. If I remember correctly, the
short answer is no. The change-type command is fully supported in the
kernel, and also in the network code. However, the corresponding interface
code is lacking. So until somebody writes it, there is no way to execute
the command.

>Is there any game that uses opinions?  If not, how do
>they work?  I know how to set a unit's opinions
>(has-opinions true, opinions) but I don't know how
>xconq handles these.

There is no game that uses them, but I think they are fully functional.
Opinions are part of the unit revolt code, and helps to decide to what side
a unit defects. Only a handful of games currently use the revolt code, but
I think it could be more widely used. Perhaps you should try it out? For
details of how it works, see unit_revolt in run2.c (reading the kernel code
is usually the best way to figure out a feature).

There are quite a few features like these in in xconq, that are either not
working at all or are not used in any games. I have tried to remove the
former from the interfaces, so that the user does not get confused. Some of
you may remember an "Agreements" window which did nothing. This was part of
an elaborate but never fully implemented agreements code that has now been
commented out.

As for functional but little used features, there are several that could be
useful in game writing. Some examples:

* Self-units, e.g. special units that are either "Leaders" (mobile) or
"Capitals" (immobile) and whose capture or death may cause the side to lose
the game. Example: Sauron in the Lord of the Rings game.

* Weather, including temperature, winds and clouds. I think many users were
unaware of this feature because it was only fully supported in the Mac
interface. However, I added support in the tcltk code recently. For an
example of a game that uses weather, se Napoleon (the base module, not the
Austrian campaign).

* Temporary coatings, such as snow or mud, that modify terrain properties
(usually making it more difficult to move). See ww2-eur-42.

* Daylight cycles that affect visibility. See Gettysburg and Cherbourg.