Re: Compiling win32 under Cygwin

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through writting a new configure.in script.  It's shaping up pretty well, and gets all the varibles from tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh correctly.  It works a little differntly form the current version, in that it looks for a working tclsh and uses the path to that to get the path to the includes and libs for Tcl.  Similarly, it finds wish for tk.  I'm adding in code to check for tcl and tk directories if it doesn't find an installed version, and run configure on them if they are found.

If you look in tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh, you'll find the additional defines and libraries that the two need to link.  They vary a lot between cygwin 98 and cygwin NT 2000.  The compile flags number about 20 on 08, but only 2 on NT for tcl, 98 only needs one additional library for Tk, but NT needs 5.  So it's important, particularly for cygwin, to be able to reference the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh files.

Once I'm happy with the script, I'll need for people in different environments to test it for me.  I can test on Solaris 2.8 (native and gcc), Solaris 2.6 (native), IRIX (native), Win98 (cygwin), NT200(cygwin), and possible Linux (RH 7.2) and AIX (native).  For the first round, I'd just want the results of running autconf and configure (config.status, configure.log, and configure).  Once I'm happy with that I'll make the changes needed in the Makefiles.

Longer rnage, what would you think about adding an xcconf.h.in file to encapsulate information about system dependant routines that configure can test for and set flags for?

Even longer term would be seeing if there is a way to run configure in a command shell. Ha Ha :-)

 --- On Sun 12/01, Hans Ronne  wrote:From: Hans Ronne [mailto: hronne@telia.com]To: vinnyjojo@yahoo.com     Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.comDate: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 04:00:18 +0100Subject: Re: Compiling win32 under Cygwin>I'm now able to compile, using the correct x-includes directive!  And
>yes, it runs.  I don't have a standard cygwin install, though, and
>here's what I did to get it to work:

So what cygwin are you using instead of the standard install? b20?

>1) Checked out the latest from CVS.  I had edited the makefiles et al
>in the previously checked-out version, so I decided to make a clean
>(mostly) start of it.

>2) Tried ./configure --x-includes=install >  Configured just fine, but had to a) add tkwin32.o to my
>xconq: make instruction; b) add the same to the exec'd command in that
>instruction; c) change the TCLTK_LIB flag to point to my libs (used
>'-L/usr/local/lib -lltcl84s.a -ltk84s.a -lm).

And Stanley used:

-L/usr/local/lib -ltcl84g -ltk84g -lm

in the Makefile he posted earlier. Would just:

-L/usr/local/lib -ltcl -ltk -lm

work for both of you? We should try to keep things as general as possible.

When I ran make, I ran
>into the following:

>Anybody want to comment on what this might be?  No idea, and the cygwin
>mailing lists aren't much help, either.

Nope. But since Stanley didn't see it (using tcl8.4.1) it must be specific
to your build.

>3) Decided to fall back to my tcl/tk 8.3 install.  I had installed this
>from the ActiveState distro a little while ago, just trying to get the
>game going.  I used ./configure --x-includes=/cygdrive/d/Tcl/include as
>my configure command (after doing a make distclean to tidy things up a
>bit) and it generated ALMOST the correct makefiles.  I again had to
>change the xconq instruction to include tkwin33.o and point it to the
>correct libs.  Ran make, and it made just fine!
>
>First time I ran the game, forgot I had to include the tcl and tk dll's
>in the working path; copied them in, and it ran without trouble, too.
>Everything looks great :)

Have you tested what games you can run without the memory problem? Would be
interesting to know.

Can a Web portal forever change your life?
Win up to $25 Million on iWon - click here!