Re: To fire or not to fire?

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 14:14, Hans Ronne wrote:
> Capture can be either the byproduct of an attempt to "hit" an adjacent unit
> or the result of an attempt to capture it directly (without hitting it
> first). Units that can capture directly and have an adjacent enemy unit
> will usually try that first instead of hitting the unit. This is a problem
> in the current code, since occs (which may make a city immune to capture)
> are not usually visible to other sides. Accordingly, the AI will believe
> that a city is empty and therefore subject to capture, an thus try to
> capture it directly, always failing. One way to work around this is to
> disable direct capture and only permit indirect capture.

I have not defined any units than can directly capture.  I meant that
sometimes I've observed the AI decide to hit an enemy units, sometimes
capture, but I'm not sure how it decides between the two.  Maybe it

> OTOH, units that can fire at a distance will usually do that, as I already
> pointed out. Direct capture is therefore not an option for these units,
> unless you disable their ability to fire or make firing work only on
> adjacent units (set range to 1).

Oddly enough, on occasion I've seen the AI successfully perform a
capture using these kinds of tanks.  Probably it just got lucky and
didn't see the enemy unit until it was right next to the tank, or it had
to be right next to the enemy unit so that the terrain didn't block it.

> BTW, the rule "capture first if possible, else attack" applies also to the
> human player. Thus, if you just click on an adjacent enemy unit, your
> current unit will always attempt to capture, overrun, attack, fire at or
> move towards the target, in that specific order. This has consequences for
> the game play. You can to some extent overrule this default behaviour by
> giving the unit an explicit command, such as "fire" instead, and then
> select the target.

I've noticed that, but I usually use the 'a' and 'f' keys when I'm
dealing with units that can use more than one combat technique.
However, I think that there must be a better way to do it (maybe
right-click or ctrl-click to fire?).

I've noticed one more thing:  If a unit under AI control runs out of
ammo, its plan should change to "resupply ammo", right?  Instead, it
tries to hit/capture again and goes into reserve.  That makes it a
sitting duck when a more intelligent players decides to blow it up.