Re: exploring_worth sub-module functions (Was Re: Side Mask)

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 14:07, Hans Ronne wrote:
> You are right in assuming that it wouldn't work on all platforms. But even
> if it did, to what purpose? The idea is presumably to let the kernel do
> something useful while the animation is running. But since the kernel
> handles one unit at a time, there is little it can do until the interface
> is ready to proceed to the next unit.

Well, if nothing else, it would allow me to run SETI@home in the
background more efficiently.

> I think that if we want to speed up the interface further, we have to think
> about how to make it easier for the human eye and mind to grasp what is
> going on. One possible improvement would be to briefly highlight the
> attacking unit so that you get a sense of where the attack is coming from
> (like you do with fire). The splash animation could be improved. Little
> things like that could make it possible to run the interface at a higher
> speed while still being intelligible to the human player.

I suppose one thing you could do is figure out how to animate the unit
images.  For example, with the "soldiers" image, perhaps when they
attack, they should be animated so that the player sees them aim their
guns at the target and shoot.  Of course, that would require a lot of
work to re-program all the existing images, but I haven't seen a
commercial game with static images for at least 8 years!