Re: code in adjust_tooling_crossover?

>On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 14:04, Hans Ronne wrote:
>> This does not make sense. The AI does not instruct colonizers to build a
>> city in a certain cell. The good_cell_to_colonize code (which strictly
>> speaking is not part of the AI code) merely inspects a cell after the
>> colonizer arrives in it and checks if it is a good place to colonize. So it
>> is quite impossible for engineers to ever consider building something on an
>> ocean tile. Unless they can walk on water ...
>
>They *can* walk on water.  I guess it's not a bug in the AI code, but it
>is a bug nonetheless.

Heh. Engineers that go to the beach instead of going to work is not
something I considered when I wrote the colonizer code. We should add a
check in plan_colonize that the unit to be created does not vanish where
the colonizer happens to be. But the postmodern engineers would still be
wasting most of their time swimming around in the sea where they cannot do
anything sensible (not even build bridges). So this seems like a bug in the
postmodern game as well. The engineers should stay ashore, where they have
work to do.

Another current limitation in the AI code is that units, like the
engineers, who can build both builders of other units (cities) and other
unit types (e.g. bridges) always are assigned a colonizing plan which means
that they never will build anything but cities. This makes sense since a
unit that can build other units (a city) is by far the best thing to build
in most games. Still, I wonder if we should not let them build an
occasional bridge as well. Just for variety ...

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se