Re: Converting xconq to C++

If converting xconq to C++ would bring more developers to this project,
it's fine with me. I  kind of doubt that it would make a big difference,
though. Anybody who knows C++ should be able to hack the current plain C
sources as well. I think the main obstacle to new developers is the
complexity of the game itself.

But I say the same thing as last time we discussed conversion of the xconq
sources on this forum (I believe it was to java): please go ahead and give
it a try. The approach suggested by Erik Sigra makes sense. Perhaps Erik
could also comment on whether converting freeciv to C++ really did bring
more developers to that project?

There is one thing to remember before you start to convert the sources. In
addition to the kernel, xconq also has four different interfaces (x11,
tcltk, mac and sdl) all of which are written in plain C. A conversion that
works only with one of them would be pretty much useless.

Meanwhile, if anybody wants to help with fixing the various bugs and
improvements that have been discussed on this forum, contributions are
welcome. You had some ideas last year about writing a better path-finding
algorithm. I think that would be really useul since units frequently get
stuck at obstacles right now.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se