Re: How to fix the xconq network code

> In xtconq we have a working network server, but it has two problems: (i)
> it uses the X11 display protocol which is not common outside of the unix
> world, and (ii) it transfers a lot of data.

Have you benchmarked the bandwidth?

> Without any changes we can now run xtconq on a unix machine, creating
> players on virtual X11 displays created by VNC.  Other people (knowing
> the host machine, TCP port, and password) on machines of any
> architecture can connect to this game; all they need is a VNC viewer
> or Java-capable web browser.

That's a cool idea.  It looks like a winner to me in the portability
department.  In the bandwidth department, though, VNC tends to be kind
of high-bandwidth.  For example, the X11 protocol only transmits the
bitmaps for units, terrain, &c when xtconq starts - VNC would transmit
them every time they are drawn (multiple copies too, unless VNC is
very clever about compression).

But of course, saying that is no match for actually trying it and
seeing what happens.