Re: Are cylindrical worlds not fully supported?

>Okay, I guess my next questions would be along the lines of
>(a) has this been tested on Linux platforms, or should I
>consider myself one of the beta testers, and (b) is there a
>minimum SDL level I should use?

It runs fine on LinuxPPC with the most recent SDL version (1.2.2). I
haven't used SDL 1.1.8 for a while but sdlconq used to run fine back when I
did, too. In any case, I suggest you upgrade to 1.2.2 since there has been
a lot of bug fixes since 1.1.8. The SDL code is evolving rapidly.

>Building was, as you said, easy.  Playing was another matter.
>I discovered that one cannot use the GUI to launch the game,
>as the global "sscreen" variable will be needed by function
>popup_game_dialog().  However, sscreen is not available until
>after launch_game() is invoked, and that occurs later.

The only way you can run sdlconq right now is through the command line.
There is no popup dialog yet. You also have to specify what game to run on
the command line (example: -g lord-rings). If you failed to do that,
sdlconq used to crash. I thought this bug had been fixed and that it would
default to the standard game now, but I could be wrong.

>Unfortunately, even if one skips the GUI (by supplying a game
>option, such as "-v"), the program dies in get_grid_surface()
>the very first time update_screen() is called.  (The "format"
>field of SDL_Surface variable, tmpsurf, looks corrupted.)

Does it still crash if you use -g to pick a game?

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se