Re: Are cylindrical worlds not fully supported?

Hans Ronne <hronne@pp.sbbs.se> sez:

>               It would mean a lot of work, which I think is better spent on
> the new SDL interface. I suggest you check out the latter if you haven't
> done that yet. It runs under Unix and MacOS right now, but a Windows
> version should not be too hard to make. A compiled Mac version is included
> in the xconq snapshot I mentioned earlier:
>
> http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/xconq-010715.sit.bin
>
> The Unix version is easy to build from the CVS sources if you have SDL
> installed.

I see I have been away from the list for too long ....

Okay, I guess my next questions would be along the lines of
(a) has this been tested on Linux platforms, or should I
consider myself one of the beta testers, and (b) is there a
minimum SDL level I should use?

Building was, as you said, easy.  Playing was another matter.
I discovered that one cannot use the GUI to launch the game,
as the global "sscreen" variable will be needed by function
popup_game_dialog().  However, sscreen is not available until
after launch_game() is invoked, and that occurs later.

Unfortunately, even if one skips the GUI (by supplying a game
option, such as "-v"), the program dies in get_grid_surface()
the very first time update_screen() is called.  (The "format"
field of SDL_Surface variable, tmpsurf, looks corrupted.)

I am running on Linux 2.2.14, building with gcc 2.95.2, and
linking with SDL version 1.1.8.  I can provide more details
if needed.

I hope this helps!

				Bob