Next release date and also improving unit route selection

Hi,

Just found xconq and installed it on my Red Hat system, as an old
afficionado of Empire Deluxe (found v3.12 in a charity shop early last year)
I'd be quite keen on improve on the empire scenario to make it more faithful
to the original (except for the AI of course, I don't have the strategy
guide). Is anyone already working on this?

A particular problem with the game engine itself is moving a unit between
distant points, xconq will not take the shortest route or even attempt to
take a possible non-straight-line route. E.g. armoured units may need to go
to one particular side of a mountain range to reach a distant city. Empire
deluxe makes a good job of this particular manoeuvre. Is anyone looking at
this? Is it a viable problem for an xconq newbie to tackle?.

Ed