Re: 3rd-age.g

>Is it possible to tie one characters strength to an object and let the
>characters attributes change in propotion to the distance between the
>character and the object? Lord of the Rings is filled up with items
>which have special meaning to the carrier or the original owner.
>Galadriel got her strength from Lorien. Sauron from his ring. Smeagol
>was always attracted by the Ring. It should then also be possible to
>assign an effect relative to the time carrying the object or using the
>object. Would also useful for nuclear weapons and Frodo got the Ring
>sickness. One could then make a game about drug abuse.

This is in part how the game already works. Any unit that carries the Ring
gets a 10-fold higher attack value. This could just as well be made
specific for a certain unit (Sauron), since all the special characters have
their own unit types. It is also possible to modify a unit's attack or
defense value if it is within another unit or in the same hex. In
Galdriel's case, being in the same hex as an Elven city could be set to
increase her defensive value. Since I wanted different icons for cities
belonging to different peoples, I already made separate unit types
(elven-city, mordor-city etc) for each of them.

The GDL tables for implementing this stuff were specially written for the
Lord of the Rings game, and can be found at the very end of tables.def. I
just have not had time to apply most of them yet in the actual game.

As for the more sofisticated things you suggest, such as the effect waning
at a distance or over time, this would need some more coding in the kernel.
But I'm sure it could be done.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se