Re: AI in Old Empire

>"Eric R. Smith" wrote:
>>
>> I just tried a game of "Old Empire" with a very recent CVS checkout of
>> xconq.
>> The AI just sat there -- it didn't try to conquer any cities (even
>> though
>> there were some empty independent ones next to its starting position)
>> and seemed not to build any exploration units -- no ships or planes.
>
>Just tried it myself, it's pretty comical.  I just set my own side
>to be played by the mplayer and watched the armies quiver between
>"hitting" and "capturing" while not doing either.  After a couple
>hundred turns the city built some ships and did a creditable job
>of exploring, while at the same time - you guessed it! - the armies
>continued to quiver.  Eventually one of them captured a city,
>presumably by accident, and so we now two cities building armies,
>all of whom - you guessed it again! - continued to quiver.
>
>An interesting bug, probably not too hard to fix...

The problem is with plan_exploration. In half the cases, the army starts
out with an offensive plan (because there is an adjacent independent city
that is visible on turn zero) and things usually work fine. Inspection of
plan_exploration reveals that it calls capture_useful_if_nearby and
capture_independent_if_nearby before executing any pending tasks, which it
should not do, I think. Commenting out these two calls solves the problem.

Another related problem that I mentioned last week is that New Empire is
completely broken (never works even with a nearby independent city). In
this case, the single first city gets stuck in plan_random for some reason
and oscillates between differen tasks. Haven't beem able to figure that one
out yet.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se