Re: What to do with Xconq

>Hi Stan,
>

> <Unfortunately, TOAW is better than Xconq in quite a few different ways,
> so I was mentioning it as a competitor to catch up with!  But with
> TOAW, Talonsoft has that cold market reality to deal with, which I
> believe will eventually force them to stop work on TOAW.  Meanwhile,
> Xconq will continue to grow.>

One of the things I liked about TOAW was the editor, which allowed you to
set up conditonal events.  Unfortunately the game as a whole never clicked
for me (I should try it again with all the patches) because of such things
as units evaporating when trying to take one step away from an enemy unit.

> < (Heh, WaW is a poster child for the fate of proprietary computer
> wargames - try and get one of them nowadays...) >
>
>Well, I still have many of them for both Mac and Win. I never got rid
>of them. But, I rarely play them either. Velikiye Luki about a year ago.
>Believe me, I have tried hacking on all those games many times to no
>avail. I have heard that the engine is still for sale for something like a
>half a million bucks...Gee, I wonder why there haven't been any takers? ;-)

I really liked the W@W games a lot.  I had to stop playing them becuase the
bugs drove me nuts (as well as some of the poor OOB work).

What did you do with hacking it ?  For several years I mapped out the
Scneario files and came up with a new one or two after a lot of effort.

I aslo wish Atomic would open source the code.

> Another key thing to do is to work on the library.  As others have
> commented here, most of the library games are incomplete.  In some
> cases, supporting C code is still needed, but most of the time it's
> simply that the game rules haven't been filled out completely.  So
> it's also valuable to act as a "level designer", just using Xconq as
> it stands.  While I have some knowledge of the historical situations,
> there are other people who really know the OBs and the odds and all
> that detail, and they're the right people to do the actual game designs. >>

I have all the XConq stuff on my drive and one of these days I should look
into the editing parts.

>OK, well I will have to look at this, after I get done with work for one
>of those commercial wargaming companies that I am complaining
>about. ;-) To see if there is something that I am interested in helping
>out with? Well, OoB/ToE work is especially my forte. And, infact that
>is what I am doing for this company.

Which company are you working for ?  What OOB stuff are you doing right now ?

>Regards,
>
>Greg Allen

Mad Dog

PS: when is the new interface coming out; I like it much better.